The coat of arms of Fayence represents Saint John the Baptist surmounted by a golden wall crown, with three towers, indicating the former capital of the canton. It is surrounded by oak leaves, symbols of wisdom and prosperity.





 

The first human occupation dates back to the Neolithic period, but it was during the Roman era that the first constructions appeared, probably not far from the current Notre-Dame-des-Cyprès chapel.

 

 

In the Middle Ages, the history of the city is closely linked to that of Abbé Mayeul. Ordained a priest and then canon of the cathedral of Mâcon, he then joined the abbey of Cluny and ended up giving his own estates, extending from what is now Montauroux to Claviers, to the bishopric of Fréjus.

The old name of Fayence, Fagentia, is also mentioned for the first time in 909, in a charter of the cartulary of the abbey of Cluny. It would come from the Latin Fagus (beech), massively implanted in the region and used by the Romans as construction timber. We also find the term Faventia loca, pleasant place, in a charter of the abbey of Saint-Victor, dating from 1119.

To prevent invasions, the bishopric of Fréjus had a castle built at the top of the hill. The place then became a particularly popular resting resort, and Fayence developed around the clerical residence. But in 1710, Monseigneur de Fleury, future tutor and minister of Louis XV, ordered the dismantling of the castle which had become, according to him, too "expensive and unnecessary".

In 1782, Fayence freed himself from the tutelage of the Bishop of Fréjus by paying the sum of 53,000 Livres. The King of France is now its sole sovereign. Fayence then had 2,600 inhabitants; its territory is immense. To the current limits, we must add the hamlet of Saint-Paul-les-Fayence (today Saint-Paul-en-Forêt), attached since 1632, and a large sector of the Forêt des Maures.

In 1790, the city became the capital of a canton comprising Mons, Seillans and Tourrettes, but the wars waged by the young Republic between 1789 and 1799 brought 65,000 soldiers, including 13,000 in the summer of 1796 alone, to cross its territory. The consequences for Fayence will be significant: difficulty in feeding the inhabitants, an increase in the number of patients, and an increase in requisitions.

In the 19th century, the local economy experienced a marked slowdown. Olive production suffers from the accumulation of poor harvests and increasing competition from Spanish and Italian oils. The vines are ravaged by phylloxera.

Despite this, and a massive rural exodus for the benefit of coastal towns, the municipality undertook major beautification work: restoration of the town hall, construction of Avenue Gambetta, opening of the first private school for girls in 1845, and transfer from the boys' school to the new school at La Ferrage in 1883.



 

It was at this time that Fayence also developed its water supply. In fact, the village has always been supplied by the Ray or the Tuyère. It was not until June 1891 that a presidential decree "declared of public utility the extension of the extension of the waterable perimeter of the Siagnole canal on the territory of the municipalities of Fayence, Tourrettes, Callian and Montauroux. ".

After the completion of the rail link with Italy via Toulon and Nice in 1868, another line, supposed to bring the agricultural areas of the hinterland closer to the coastal ports, was created in 1888, between Meyrargues, near Aix-en-Provence, and Draguignan. Four years later, the Central Var crosses the canton of Fayence by connecting Draguignan to Grasse.

Fayence station is the largest in the canton. Located in the heart of the Saint-Eloi district, it has hangars, bumper tracks and even a seesaw. However, the operation of the Central Var was not profitable enough, which led to the closure of the line in 1950.

Created in 1929, the airfield located in the municipalities of Fayence and Tourrettes will be used until 1945 for exclusively military purposes. In 1948, under the impetus of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, the Fayence-Tourrettes Club was created. In 1966, the club changed its statutes and became the Association Aéronautique Provence Côte d'Azur (A.A.P.C.A.). Today, the Gliding Center is internationally recognized with more than 20,000 flight hours.

 

  

With an area of approximately 28 km2 and a population of almost 6,000 inhabitants, Fayence, leaning against the hillside, between lakes and mountains, is a village surrounded by picturesque Provençal landscapes of lush nature. Its mid-southern climate, its traditional olive groves, its rich heritage of the Notre-Dame-des-Cyprès chapel, the Saint-Jean-Baptiste church, the Saint-Roch chapel, the Sarrasine Gate, the Clock Tower with its viewpoint, the charm of its old streets, its fountains and washhouses, its traditional festivals, its restaurants and café terraces make this place a heaven where life is good.

publications

Fayence C'est vous

N°02 PDF - 8.7Mo Telecharger Feuilleter

Vos services en ligne

Restez connectes !

Telecharger l'APP mobile

Prochainement disponible. Retrouvez l'application officielle de la commune de Fayence en téléchargement, vous pourrez recevoir les alertes et notifications en temps réel .